Friday 3 August 2012

ON THE ROAD: The Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac, Book Review


On the Road: The Original ScrollOn the Road: The Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On the Road: The Original Scroll... I just thought it was just the name of the book, the original version of the previously released book... But i didnt knew that the book was literally a 'scroll'... When I first came to know that the draft for this book was originally a 120-feet long, continuous, flow of words, I was flabbergasted...

This edition is of totally 408 pages to be exact and about 100 pages (102, to be precise) is just crap... you can also call it a 100-page review... introduction, history, crap, shit, etc etc...

Actually, I am not happy with the read... I was expecting something more adventurous and tripping, but this turns out to be a reference book to something called, 'Beat Generation'... I thought to understand the book, I need to learn a bit about the 'beat generation' and extracted few details from the net... But it confused me, further..

A thing I observed in this book is, the author, jack kerouac, is as frank as anything could be in the book... I felt like I was reading someone's personal diary...

The stories starts exactly on the 109th page... And from then on there is no end of parah.. In fact, the whole story continuous in a hude paragraph, stretching for about 300 pages!!! that is one point which bores you.. I couldnt read it for too long.. Most of the times, I fell asleep when I was reading..

Another minus point about the book is the book had so many names... I had to refer the previous pages when a name is mentioned... It is so diffficult to remember all those names..

The book is, actually, five books... There is no difference between the books except for the words written in bold, 'BOOK ONE' or 'BOOK TWO'.... the whole story didnt break its continuous flow not atleast once..

The best part of the book, excluding the boring parts is the adventure and tripping never stopped... In fact, the tripping was done at its fastest.. but it has its share of boring parts too..

So just think if you planning to pick this book up...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment